last updated on 2019/03/31
hans-around.tokyo is a personal blog about my life in Tokyo, Japan. In order to understand which content is most popular with certain user groups, I collect anonymized data to further improve your user experience. This information is only processed by me, my web hosting provider and – if you use the contact form – my e-mail provider. Your data is never provided or even sold to any other third party.
Purpose of the processing
I use Matomo to analyse the behaviour of website visitors to identify potential pitfalls, such as not found pages, search engine indexing issues, and which contents are the most appreciated. Once the data is processed, Matomo is generating reports for me to take action, for example changing the layout of the pages, publishing some fresh content, etc. For these purposes, I am processing the following personal data:
- IP address (last octet anonymized)
- Date and time of your visit
- Title of the page being viewed
- URL of the page being viewed
- URL of the page that was viewed prior to the current page
- Screen resolution
- Time in local timezone
- Files that were clicked and downloaded
- Link clicks to an outside domain
- Pages generation time
- Main Language of the browser
- User Agent of the browser
If you decide to use the contact form, you are additionally asked to provide:
- Your name
- Your e-Mail address
The processing of these personal data is based on legitimate interests.
Processing your personal data such as cookies is helping me identify what is working and what is not on this website. For example, it helps me identify if the topics I am writing about are engaging or not and how I can organize the structure of the website better. By processing your personal data, you can profit from a website which is getting better and better. In case of the contact form, I require your name and e-mail address to get back to you to answer your questions and inquiries. Without the data, I would not be able to provide you the service I am currently offering to you. Your data will be used only to improve the user experience on this website and help you find the information you are looking for.
Recipients of the personal data
The personal data received through Matomo are sent to:
- Me, Hans Christian Rudolph
- My web hosting provider: Hetzner Online GmbH, Industriestr. 25, 91710 Gunzenhausen, Germany
If you decide to use the contact form, your name, e-mail and message contents are additionally sent to:
- My e-mail provider: Posteo e.K., Methfesselstr. 38, 10965 Berlin, Germany
Details of transfers to third country and safeguards
hans-around.tokyo data is hosted in Germany.
I am keeping the personal data captured within Matomo for a period of twelve months. Matomo’s periodic deletion of old data ensures that data is kept no longer than required.
Existence of each of the data subject’s rights
As Matomo is processing personal data on legitimate interests, you can exercise the following rights:
- Right of access: you can ask me at any time to access your personal data.
- Right to erasure: you can ask me at any time to delete all the personal data I am processing about you.
- Right to object: you can object to the tracking of your personal data by using the following opt-out feature:
Your right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority
If you think that the way I process your personal data with Matomo analytics is infringing the law, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority.
Obligation and possible consequences of failing to provide the personal data
If you wish this website to not process any personal data with Matomo, you can opt-out from it at any time. There will be no consequences at all regarding the use of its services. This website also honors your browser’s “Do Not Track” preference.
Existence of automated decision-making, including profiling
Matomo and hans-around.tokyo is not doing any profiling.